Welcome to the team, Cherice!


In her words:

As a native Floridian, I have long been drawn to Florida’s natural communities. I first became enamored by our state’s rich biodiversity on Girl Scouts camping trips throughout Central Florida. This interest led me to complete a B.S. in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, and later a M.S. in Interdisciplinary Ecology, from the University of Florida. During my masters program I studied the diversity of native bees in fire-maintained pine savannas, which deepened my understanding of the critical role of native plants in our ecosystems and cemented my passion for conserving them.

Over the years I have worked in several different capacities within the fields of ecological research and conservation, including as an environmental monitor on the BP oil spill response, a native pollinator researcher with the UF Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab, and as a field biologist with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Research Institute. Before joining FNPS, I worked as the Native Plant Program Coordinator and Outreach Coordinator at GROW HUB, a nonprofit plant nursery in Gainesville, FL that provides work opportunities for adults with disabilities. In this position, I deepened my knowledge of native plant propagation while developing skills in project management, marketing, fundraising, event planning, volunteer management, and more.

I am excited to merge my ecological research background, my passion for native plant conservation, and my skills in nonprofit management in the Operations Manager position. I am absolutely thrilled to be a part of an amazing organization with such a rich legacy of preserving, conserving, and restoring native plants. I look forward to supporting all of the amazing work FNPS and its many members are doing across Florida!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Native Plant Society Position on Monarchs and Milkweeds

Wednesday's Wildflower:Spanish Needle

Australian Pine: One of Florida's Least Wanted