Member Feature: Peter Grannis, Martin County Chapter

Interviewed by Valerie Anderson


Peter Grannis is the current Treasurer of the Martin County Chapter and attended the Mandarin Board and Council Meeting in February of 2020. We got a chance to chat a little on the Sunday hike at Julington Durbin Preserve where I filmed him quickly. I interviewed him today since he's such an interesting character.

VA: How did you get into native plants?

PG: The linear story is: My first love was birding, which I pursued intensively many years. This love was inspired by my Mom. Studied environmental biology in college alongside my technology degree, just because of birds. New Jersey has some really good people in the birding world which led to other environmentalist connections. Dianna and I met other birding friends focused on butterflies, with appreciation for plants and habitats. The people who knew plants were lots of fun, and when Dianna and I moved to Florida, we found the same kind of folks and connected with them. So here we are.

VA: Why did you take on a leadership role with the chapter?

PG: Florida's landscape is so different from the great northeast. Attending meetings and field trips with Martin County chapter was the way to learn first hand from those with local knowledge. We were both invited to join the Board. They needed a new treasurer, a good fit with my engineering background. Dianna took the job of Chapter Representative, because it would get us out exploring around the state. That’s made a huge impact for us, seeing beautiful places and meeting some really great people. And we get to bring back what we learn to our chapter.

VA: Do you get involved in chapter projects other than being on the board?

PG: I’ve been involved a lot with our annual plant sale, and with helping to lead plant ID walks with a local state park Friends group. I’ve also applied what I’m learning from FNPS about native habitats to lead a couple of naturalist hikes for Martin County Audubon.

VA: What's your favorite native plant? Favorite Florida endemic species? Any favorite genus?

PG: Live oak is my favorite tree - there’s so much going on wherever they are found. Ferns, orchids and wetland plants seem to draw a lot of my attention. No favorites for any one endemic species or any genus.

VA: Anything else you'd like to add?

PG: It’s super gratifying to work alongside some very committed, talented and capable people in Martin County chapter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday's Wildflower:Spanish Needle

Australian Pine: One of Florida's Least Wanted

Tropical Milkweed is Harmful to Monarchs & Florida Ecosystems