This is an exciting time to join FNPS. If you are passionate about the environment and our unique Florida ecosystem, a dynamic public speaker who can share the compelling mission and significant impact of FNPS, a collaborative team builder, and a proven fundraiser who can generate new streams of revenue and social enterprise opportunities please visit www.fnps.org to learn more about our mission and programs. See https://www.fnps.org/news/news for full job description.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY SUMMARYReporting directly to the board president and in support of the board of directors, the Executive Director will have overall operational responsibility for execution of the FNPS mission, operations, programs and growth.
Leadership & Management
- Collaborates with the Board, Council of Chapters and staff to develop and implement a clear FNPS vision, mission and strategic plan
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the Board of Directors, Chapter leadership, staff, volunteers, funders, donors, and partner organizations
- Lead staff, contractors and professional service providers to effectively execute the FNPS mission goals within the annual budget. ED is responsible for hiring, firing, and supervision of FNPS staff
- Direct organizational development through team building, professional employee development, relevant compensation and benefits
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and its leadership to conduct effective meetings, strategic planning sessions and any special sessions
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the board of directors, attend all board meetings and advise the board of any issues
- Develop and direct mission-related fundraising campaigns, capital campaigns, grant fundraising, major donor programs, and seek partnerships with potential organizations and donors statewide
- Create fundraising campaigns for major and legacy gifts, stock and land donations, Donor Advised Funds and other financial support opportunities
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with members and Chapters and grow membership to provide a reliable unrestricted revenue stream
- Oversee management of all aspects of any grants, including all reporting requirements, all reports and BOD update
- Serve as the chief ambassador and official spokesperson to clearly articulate a compelling case for support of the FNPS mission to a variety of audiences, particularly community leaders and major donor prospects
- Regularly speak at public meetings, conferences, local and state government meetings, and with the media, funding agencies and sponsors
- Regularly visit FNPS Chapters throughout the state
- Oversee the creation of a strong brand in all aspects of communications—social media, web presence, and all external relations.
- Oversees the Annual Conference by collaborating with the FNPS staff, contractors, and Chapters to select Annual Conference location, coordinate conference planning and logistics, program development, sponsorship, speakers, volunteer coordination and conference registration
Operational Program and Policy Management
- Support the operations and administration of the organization by advising and informing its board members, recommending policy, and providing clear and accurate reports for the board to effectively monitor the organization’s progress
- Establish evaluation systems and organizational processes to monitor project and program outcomes and improve quality services
- Manage the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of FNPS programs, and practices, including contracted services
- Maintain all necessary registrations and certifications to comply with state requirements for non-profits
Financial Planning, Compliance, and Management
- Prepare and present for approval the annual budget, with the Board’s direction and guidance. Monitor the cash flow and provide regular, comprehensive reports to the board on revenues and expenditures
- Responsible for keeping accurate records related to financial and legal matters, and for records retention in accordance with FNPS policy
- Provides up to date financial and budget reports and statements to the Board and Executive Committee. Responds to inquiries from President, Treasurer, and VP of Finance regarding financial and accounting matters
- Responsible for record keeping, tracking, and acknowledgement of FNPS donors and members, including supervision of staff and/or contractors involved with these tasks. Reports donor and member summary reports to the Board
- Responsible for ensuring production of the FNPS Annual Report for distribution to the membership and public
- Passion for the Florida ecosystem and strong interest in native plants and their habitats
- Bachelor's degree in natural or environmental sciences, resource management, sustainability, nonprofit management or demonstrated work experience. Master’s degree is a plus
- Five or more years in a senior leadership role with a non-profit, private sector, government or education organization
- Sound business judgment and decision making skills
- Personnel experience with demonstrated organizational abilities including planning, delegating, facilitating, evaluating staff and programs
- Collaborative leadership style and team building skills
- Flexible schedule with capability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Strong understanding of financial reports and ability to communicate financial information to the Board of Directors, Chapters, and key stakeholders
- Demonstrated financial management skills including analysis and decision making
- Ability to manage Google Workspace, QuickBooks online, and a working knowledge of CiviCRM or similar constituent relationship management software.
- Proficiency with professional software programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet, or WebEx
- Working with a Board of Directors and knowledge of governance practices
- Strategic and operations planning, financial management, and budgeting
- Dynamic public speaker with the ability to be the Chief Ambassador for FNPS and its mission who eagerly seeks opportunities to share the FNPS mission and impact
- Working with fundraising and donor management systems
- Demonstrated ability to generate new revenue streams and improved financial results
- Proven success in establishing high level relationships or partnerships with funders, agencies, or collaborators
- Demonstrated success with securing legacy and/or major gifts and/or endowment gifts
- Demonstrated experience with Grant research, writing, management, and
- Advocacy experience
Location of position: This is a virtual/work remote position and the successful candidate must live in and be able to travel within Florida and work flexible hours including some weekends and evenings.
Salary and benefits: Salary is $70,000 and a stipend for healthcare and/or retirement is also included.
To apply please submit: Cover letter, resume/CV and three professional references including phone number and email. Reference will be contacted during final round interviews.
Submit Applications to: EDseach@fnps.org
Application deadlines: We will accept applications until the position is filled. Application reviews will begin on March 31, 2022.
Florida Native Plant Society is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, contractors, volunteers, and members of our community.